I don’t measure a thing when I cook… I just sprinkle, shake, and add until I hear my culinary spirit guides whisper, “that’s enough, child.”
It’s been a minute since I’ve developed an official recipe for you – aside from the many culinary concoctions that frame my Instagram stories on the daily – because, well, that ^^^
Alas, the cold temps are comin’ in cold and this winter-inspired Savory + Sweet Breakfast Bake is comin’ in HOT.
You know the drill – as always, this recipe is:
- Meal Prep Friendly
- Packed with vitamins, minerals, and fiber
- Flavorful, satiating, and satisfying
Sweet + Savory Breakfast Bake
Yields 4 Servings
- 1 tsp cooking oil, divided (I used a delicious mushroom sage infused blend from Lebherz Oils!)
- 1-2 tbsp bone broth for browning meat (can sub additional oil, if needed)
- 4 oz ground chicken breast
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup egg white
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium (200 g) apple, chopped
- 1/2 small (300 g) butternut squash, cubed (acorn or delicata also work)
- 3 heaping cups chopped kale, lightly steamed
- Savory Spice Blend: 1/2 tbsp Primal Palate Amore seasoning (sub a combination of Garlic, Rosemary, Onion, Oregano, Thyme, Basil, Parsley, Red Chili Flakes), 1 tsp fennel seed, 1/2 tsp celery salt
- Sweet Spice Blend: 1 tbsp Primal Palate Breakfast Blend (sub a combination of Himalayan Pink Salt, Garlic, Onion, Oregano, Cinnamon, Turmeric, Sage), 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- While the oven comes to temperature, assemble cubed butternut squash on a parchment lined baking tray and brush lightly with preferred cooking oil.
- Bake butternut squash for ~30 minutes, shaking every 10, until squash is tender and edges start to caramelize.
- While the squash bakes, prepare the remaining components of the casserole as follows:
- Add preferred cooking oil to a pan over medium-low heat. When it’s warm, toss in onion and cook until translucent, browned, and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add ground chicken to the pan with 1-2 tbsp bone broth, or more oil, and lightly brown over medium-low heat, about 5-7 minutes. When the meat is mostly brown, add the Savory Spice Blend and mix thoroughly to combine.
- Add chopped apple to the pan and lightly sauté, about 2-3 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine steamed kale, roasted squash, and chicken & apple mixture and toss thoroughly.
- Transfer to baking vessel lightly coated with cooking spray of choice and evenly distribute the mixture across the surface of the dish.
- In the mixing bowl, whisk 8 eggs with 1/2 cup egg white until fully combined. Add in the Sweet Spice Blend and fold until evenly distributed throughout.
- Pour the egg mixture over top the fillings in the baking dish, mixing with a spoon or spatula if needed.
- Bake in the previously preheated oven until edges are golden and eggs are set, about 30-35 minutes.
- Allow to set before serving, or allow to cool completely before transferring to a storage container.
- Stack it high and serve with a side salad or cup of fresh berries – yum!